Gah! So much drama! Can’t handle it all. My emotions are running wild…too much crying. Not me, the characters. (for reals)
- Kim Suna as Kim Sam-soon
- Hyun Bin as Hyun Jin-heon
- Jeong Ryeo-won as Yoo Hee-jin
- Daniel Henney as Dr. Henry Kim (Dr. Hotpants)
- Kim Ja Ok as Park Bong-Sook – Sam-soon’s mom
- Lee Ah-hyun as Kim Yi-Young – Sam-soon’s sister
- Na Moon-hee as Na Hyun-Sook – Jin-heon’s mom
- Suh Ji Hee as Hyun Mi-joo – Jin-heon’s niece
- Yoon Ye-hee as Yoon Hyun-sook – Jin-heon’s “aunt”
- Lee Kyu-han as Min Hyun-woo – Sam-soon’s ex
- Lee Yoon-mi as Jang Chae-Ri
This episode shows the entire break up scene between Jin-heon and Hee-jin and rather than feel that mortifying pain again…I skipped the entire scene.
I picked right back up where Jin-heon’s mother slaps him upside the head for getting into a contract relationship. Yeesh, this poor guy is getting beat up all the time. If I did this something this stupid, I would only get the “I’m not angry, I’m disappointed,” speech from my mother (but that always stings more than any slap so…well done, mom. Well done.)
In another gut wrenching scene, Sam-soon heads over to Jin-heon’s place to see how he’s doing. The last time she showed up unannounced, Jin-heon answered his door with Hee-jin right behind him and Sam-soon’s stomach hit the floor. She’s worried this will happen this time, but Jin-heon is the only one there and she thinks he looks haggard. At least she will be able to take care of him by making him porridge. (is this the same a oatmeal? Cause every time someone is making ‘porridge’ I have an overwhelming craving for oatmeal and honey.)
Next, Dr. Hotpants and Hee-jin are at a restaurant but who cares. It’s Dr. Hotpants! Just enjoy the scenery. He says something but, don’t remember because *swoon*. She says something but, don’t care. It’s just obvs he’s crazy about her and she’s hurting for Jin-heon.
Now, the best part of the entire episode…the list of 7 things Sam-soon wanted to do when she finally got a boyfriend. So excited about this because this is definitely a Bridget Jones thing. Prepare for the LOL’s.
1. Hold hands in public (squeee!!!) *facepalm*
2. Make a photo with her boyfriend the wallpaper on her cellphone. (which every girlfriend does…seriously! I think she’s just so happy she’s part of the club now that she’s playing catch-up) The pose is Korean, I guess…ultimately, I don’t understand it but this is her list so she can do what she wants. Looked very similar to this…
3. Take a round trip train trip and eat in the club car. This idea is actually pretty rad and might consider this one myself. (My uncle, who is a train aficionado and even published a book on train cuisine would have loved this scene!)
4. Have her boyfriend confess his love for her in a crowded place. When this is brought up, they are back on the train going home. Jin-heon says he shan’t do that, but he might be encouraged if she knocks one month off his ‘waiting’ time to jump in the sack with her. (actually found this part disappointing cause…wth?! She’s not ready so stop pressuring her) To my surprise, she does bow down to his request and knocks a month off. (I guess she is ready…) Jin-heon immediately stands up and gets the attention of the passengers on the train. He introduces Sam-soon and says she wants to change her name. He then asks the passengers if she should keep her name, Sam-soon. The passengers all agree her name is unique and she should keep it (which, I fully agree having grown up with a unique name myself. There was a time I was uncomfortable with it due to a very popular movie released in the mid-80’s but now I think its the coolest name out there.) Jin-heon then says he will be happy with her.
Sam-soon is shocked and a bit embarrassed but ultimately pleased with this ‘confession’, but I’m left wondering…what confession? He never said the words.
5. Make out in a movie theater. How high school of them. The funniest part in all of this is Yi-young catching them and dragging Sam-soon out of the theater because she just happened to also be there on a date.
6. Get matching rings. What is this? Engagement rings? Couples rings? I don’t understand! The walls are closing in…too much commitment! Too fast! Gah!!!
7. Introduce her boyfriend to her mother. Here is were we should hear tires screech. This will be a tall order since Sam-soon’s mom already knows everything and doesn’t like Jin-heon. However, they try anyway. Jin-heon is polite and respectful, but mom is having none of it. In fact at one point she picks up a stick of some kind and charges towards Sam-soon. Jin-heon gets in the way to take the brunt of the physical attack and actually gets knocked out. Seriously, I laughed. One moment he’s defending his girlfriend, the next, he’s hitting the floor with a THUD. BWAHAAHAHA!
It takes mom awhile to come around. Ultimately, what it does take to win her favor is a night of drunk karaoke. (In my experience, this makes everything better.)
Everything is great right? The list was completed, Sam-soon’s mother approves of the relationship and Jin-heon even spent the night at the house. The next morning, Sam-soon and Jin-heon are plannign on a fun day of activities when he suddenly gets a phone call. Uh-oh…its bad news. Hee-jin is back in the hospital. Jin-heon drops everything, even Sam-soon (doesn’t even tell her what’s going on) and jets to the hospital.
Here, Dr. Hotpants tells Jin-heon he thinks Hee-jin has Anorexia Nervosa because she hasn’t been eating the past few days. From what I can tell, she wasn’t eating because she’s depressed over being dumped. Granted she is skinny and could have a history of anorexia…but just from not eating a few days? Come on!
Sam-soon hasn’t heard from Jin-heon in a few hours and decides to call him to see if there is anything she can do, but he ignores the call and takes the battery out of his cell. It’s almost like he feels guilty when he’s with Hee-jin to talk to Sam-soon. Like he’s cheating on Hee-jin? Maybe he feels guilty for ditching Sam-soon for Hee-jin, yet again? I don’t know, guy’s do stupid things sometimes.
Hee-jin gets released from the hospital and Jin-heon says he will care for her at his place. Hee-jin objects because of Sam-soon. Jin-heon says Sam-soon would understand (understand what? that he hasn’t told her what’s happening and ignored her for several hours? Honesty, kids. Honesty works wonders!)
So, Sam-soon heads over to Jin-heon’s place to find out what’s wrong. She’s really nervous and so am I! She pounds on his door but he’s not there. She slowly makes her way back to the elevator of his apartment building and presses the button to go down. When the door opens…she’s met with this view.
When the camera swings back to Sam-soon you can see the wheels in her head turning as she’s trying to rationalize just WTH is going on. Honestly, this is really unfair of Jin-heon to do to her. He doesn’t call her, in fact he ignores her calls, he doesn’t tell her what he’s doing, he brings over his ex-girlfriend to his house late at night after he just won the approval of Sam-soon’s mother and he knows Sam-soon and Hee-jin do not like each other. Just what is she supposed to think.
Even though I know he’s bringing Hee-jin to his place to care for her since she’s sick, it’s still mega shady…and he expects Sam-soon to ‘understand’.
I’m waiting for Sam-soon to throw it down. TO THE GROUND!