Starting The List today.
The first Kdrama I will cross off of the list is “My Lovely Sam-Soon”. I’m excited to start this Kdrama for two reasons:
1. It’s billed as the Korean Bridget Jones. I am a huge Bridget Jones fan so seeing a character like her in a different country will be a treat. In fact, I’m a huge Anglophile. Almost anything British is something I love. My favorite book is Persuasion by Jane Austen. (Coincidentally, Bridget Jones is a modern day retelling of Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice, my second favorite book.) Doctor Who and Absolutely Fabulous are on the list of my favorite TV shows. My birthday this year was British themed. I even stayed up until 4am to watch Kate Middleton marry Prince William.
So the Bridget Jones of Korea has a lot to live up to. Will she be tragically unlucky, a bit pudgy, and have terrible taste in men? I hope so.
2. Cocky CEO (Hyun Bin)from Secret Garden is in this Kdrama! *le sigh**le swoon**le purr* Will Cocky CEO be the Korean Mark Darcy?! Pretty much any actor who plays that character is guaranteed to make women the world over pass out from pure manliness. So, we will see.
- Kim Suna as Kim Sam-soon
- Hyun Bin as Hyun Jin-heon
- Jeong Ryeo-won as Yoo Hee-jin
- Daniel Henney as Dr. Henry Kim
- Kim Ja Ok as Park Bong-Sook – Sam-soon’s mom
- Lee Ah-hyun as Kim Yi-Young – Sam-soon’s sister
- Na Moon-hee as Na Hyun-Sook – Jin-heon’s mom
- Suh Ji Hee as Hyun Mi-joo – Jin-heon’s niece
- Yoon Ye-hee as Yoon Hyun-sook – Jin-heon’s “aunt”
- Lee Kyu-han as Min Hyun-woo – Sam-soon’s ex
- Lee Yoon-mi as Jang Chae-Ri
Here are my comments as the episode plays
Episode 1: Life is like a box of chocolates.
Sam-Soon is wandering down a hotel hallway while Christmas carols are playing in the background. She’s following whom I assume is her boyfriend. He’s definitely with another woman.
Ah, yes, fantasies of telling boyfriend off for cheating. Fantasies of killing self and haunting boyfriend. (what? No dude is worth killing yourself over.)
AHHH! She trips as she runs away from the hotel room and is caught by her boyfriend. Now they’re having the break up talk.
Wait, wait, wait, he’s mad at her for following him around? Cause she suspected him of cheating. Oh hell no! Slap him! Throw water on him! Don’t sit there looking like a cry baby and ask for an explanation! Have you no pride in yourself, woman?!
Crying in the bathroom. (been there, done that) Oh wow, these are sobs…hurtful sobs. I like how she says she’s crying for looking the feeling of love rather than losing her jerkwad of a boyfriend. Watch, she’s actually in the men’s restroom…
OH I WAS RIGHT! Escandalo!!!! There’s Cocky CEO! He’s telling her the correct way to break up with someone (that’s right boy! Don’t ask for explanations! Just kick him and run away)…does that mean he overheard Sam-Soon’s break up? Wait…why does he have water thrown on him? Need to go back and rewatch. (this is why I shouldn’t put on make-up when watching Kdramas)
Ok back…Oh dang! He did overhear Sam Soon getting dumped…and in the process got called out by his brass balled blind date. Awesome.
BWAHAHA! mom is hitting him with her purse. She’s really hitting him. Acting schmacting…those slaps are real! Now, that’s what I call getting into character. Kudos to the woman just staring straight ahead like nothing is happening while dude is getting beat up by his mom in the elevator.
So, i guess this is a flash forward in time about a year. Sam Soon is looking for a pastry job and Jin-heon (Cocky CEO) is looking for a cook. (what are the odds?)
And here is the old ‘my hair is caught in your jacket button that makes it look like I’m giving you a beej’ trick used in almost every romantic comedy. I don’t think Jin-heon or Sam Soon recognize each other from the men’s bathroom sob fest at Christmas.
Oh snap, he cuts her hair to get them unattached. Oh double snap! she throws a cake in his face! I like Sam Soon.
And Sam Soon does recognize Jin-heon from the men’s restroom!
Jin-Heon offers Sam Soon a job at his restaurant as a pastry chef. She takes it on condition he calls her by a different name. He asks why and she says she will tell him when she’s hired as a permanent employee
and now we are on a plane with 2 women?! WTH
Ok, now back at the restaurant where Sam Soon is made to feel awkward for being 30. Um, 30 isn’t that old. Just sayin.
1 thing: Sam Soon isn’t fat. She’s no where near fat. Bridget Jones was pudgy and that’s one of the great things about her. Sam Soon is also a ballsier than Bridget Jones. Give and take, I guess.